Sunday, February 14, 2010

Exit Ticket Required

Comment from a reader on "Cebu Pacific's Bad Attitude":

I just had the same problem in Hong Kong with Philippine airlines. I had to buy a full fare return ticket. In more than 30 trips over the past three years this has never come up.
Something has changed and it seems we have not be advised.

and another;

As an American expat traveling in and out of the Philippines since the mid 80's, I have observed that some airlines will ADVISE the traveler to purchase a return flight out of the Philippines or 'take their chances', and some airlines will take it upon themselves to ENFORCE the Philippine immigration rule of the return flight out before issuing the boarding pass.

This happened to me several years ago when I booked an online one-way ticket from San Francisco to Manila on a Cathay Pacific flight. Upon arriving at the check-in counter in SF they insisted that I purchase a flight out of Manila before I would be issued a boarding pass. So I purchased a Manila-Hong Kong (one-way) ticket. This past November, I flew on a one-way Hawaiian Airlines flight to Manila from Honolulu and they mentioned nothing to me about purchasing a flight out. So it appears that it depends on what the policy is of the particular airline you are flying on.

As for me I will be applying for a Permanant Resident Visa during my next stay in Honolulu, which I have been told by an Olongapo Immigration Branch official, it can be issued on the same day at any Philippine Consulate abroad. Required documents would be the Philippine marriage certificates and birth certificates of your Philippine-born children.

It however would take a year if applied for at immigration in the Philippines (what's new?).

[The Subic Bulletin] We certainly remember it being this way since at least the mid 90's and in fact it is a requirement by most countries that have visa on arrival schemes.

The law is such that if a passenger is denied entry to into the Philippines the airline must take him back out of the country and if he does not have a valid ticket the airline carries the cost. So in fact the airlines have the choice to enforce this or not but carry the consequences should the visitor be denied entry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Send us your comments and contributions!

Just send your coments to thesubicbulletin @ gmail.com