Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Laid up Ships or Laid up Sick?

Comment from a reader about "Laid-up Ships in Subic Bay"

A couple of weeks ago, I took my family to the beach for the day. 4 out of 5 of my children came down sick within 48 hours. Doctor said it was due to bacterial infections in the stomachs. I strongly believe that this happened due to the increased pollution in the bay since the boats starting parking. I have taken my kids to the same beach for 5 years and never had any sickness. I believe that we have an environmental nightmare on our hands that will only get worse with time

And another:

I think there is a bigger issue here. Non of the Towns and Villages in Subic Bay nor Hanjin seem to have a Sewage treatment plant. Even the SBMA with all the big plans about further big Hotels and Condominiums have not published anything about this issue.Some transparency in the future planning would obviously help, but that does not seem to be possible as far as the Towns, Hanjin and SBMA concern. They prefer to start building first and then hope that no one complains.The Water quality and as a matter of Fact the Quality of Life within the bay has decreased greatly over the last 5 years.While I do not think that the discharge of sewage from the Ships will be the biggest Problem they are an eye sore and do not look good for all the Tourists the SBMA needs to fill the Hotels etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send us your comments and contributions!

Just send your coments to thesubicbulletin @ gmail.com